Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF) was established by leading academicians, scientists and media personalities with the aim of promoting science, mathematics, computer education, English, General Knowledge and professional courses. Science Olympiad Foundation has been striving for over two decades to promote scientific attitude and temperament through innovative activities and use of IT in learning process that involve school students across the country. All activities of the Foundation invariably aim at making learning an interesting and interactive process in which the learner is actually able to put his / her skills, memory, talent and knowledge to test.
The foundation conducts the following Olympiads like National Cyber Olympiad, National Science Olympiad, International Mathematics Olympiad, International English Olympiad, International Company Secretaries Olympiad, International General Knowledge Olympiad.
How to Participate in SOF IMO
Registration of Students: The IMO is open to the students of classes 1 to 12. Prospectus containing the Registration forms are sent to all schools registered with SOF. Schools not registered may also request for prospectus by sending an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org / phone call. Schools must return the registration forms to SOF, duly filled in and complete in all respects by the due date.
The IMO is conducted on two dates for Level 1. Each school may select a date for conducting the IMO as per its convenience. Each date of exam has a separate question paper. Change of date for conducting the IMO is not permitted.
Students should register through their respective schools only. Individual registrations by students are not accepted.
The International Mathematics Olympiad is conducted at two levels:
Level 1: The first level of the test is organized in the respective schools of the participants during school hours.
(i) The level 1 competition is an objective-type test of 60 minutes duration comprising 35 objective-type (Multiple Choice) questions for class 1 to class 4 and 50 objective-type (Multiple Choice) questions for class 5 to class 12.
(ii) The question paper consists of four sections:
- Section-1: Logical Reasoning
- Section-2: Mathematical Reasoning
- Section-3: Everyday Mathematics\
- Section-4:Achievers Section
(iii) There are separate question papers for each class.
(iv) The medium of the test is English.
(v) CBSE, ICSE/ISC and State Board syllabi are followed for setting the test papers.
Level 2: The level 2 is conducted for students of class 3 to class 12. The qualifiers to second round would include the following:
- Top 5% of candidates class wise who appear for the 1st level exam. In case of a tie of marks, due weightage to marks scored in different sections will be given. Each section is accorded separate weightage.
- Top 25 rank holders class wise & Zone wise.
- Class topper where at least 10 students from a class appear in the exam & scores 50% qualifying marks. In case registration is received section wise, top rank holder, irrespective of section will qualify for the 2nd level. For section wise registrations, winner(s) of gold medal may not necessarily qualify for the second level.
Level 1: 5th & 14th December 2017
Level 2: 2nd / 3rd Sunday of Feb 2018
International & Zonal topper awards will be provided to 2nd level winners. For classes 1 & 2, awards will be provided to 1st level winners.
Each winner will be entitled to one award for an exam. The winners will be entitled to the higher level award only. For e.g., the international top 3 rank holders will be entitled to awards based on their International ranks. Awards accruing to them for Zonal ranks will be given to the next rank holder. Similarly, class award accruing to a Zonal award winner will be given to the next rank holder.
AWARDS FOR LEVEL TWO PERFORMANCE & FOR CLASSES ONE & TWO
|AT INTERNATIONAL LEVEL|
|RANK||SCHOLARSHIPS||NO. OF AWARDS|
|1st||Rs.50,000/- Each + Gold Medal*+ Certificate of Outstanding||12|
|2nd||Rs.25,000/- Each + Silver Medal*+ Certificate of Outstanding||12|
|3rd||Rs.10,000/- Each + Bronze Medal*+ Certificate of Outstanding||12|
|AT ZONAL LEVEL|
|‘RANK||SCHOLARSHIPS||NO. OF AWARDS|
|1st||Rs.5,000/- Each + Gold Medal*+ Certificate of Zonal Excellence||240|
|2nd||Rs.2,500/- Each + Silver Medal*+ Certificate of Zonal Excellence||240|
|3rd||Rs.1,000/- Each + Bronze Medal*+ Certificate of Zonal Excellence||240|
|4th to 10th||*Gifts Worth Rs.1000/- Each + Certificates of Zonal Excellence + Medal of Distinction**||1680|
|11th to 25th||Certificates of Zonal Excellence + Medal of Distinction**||3600|
|Rank 26+||Merit Certificate||All|
*Medals are Gold / Silver / Bronze color plated as applicable
**For classes one & two only
AWARDS FOR LEVEL ONE PERFORMANCE
|AT ZONAL LEVEL|
|RANK||SCHOLARSHIPS||NO. OF AWARDS|
|1 to 25||Medal of Excellence** + Certificate of Distinction||240|
|Rank 26+||Participation Certificate||All|
**For classes three to twelve
In case two or more students achieve the same rank, cash award in the applicable category will be distributed as under:
International Winners –
- For up to 9 students getting same rank, award amount will be distributed equally. In addition, each winner will be awarded a medal (in the applicable category) and a Certificate.
- In case more than 9 students get same rank, in lieu of cash award each winner will be awarded gifts worth Rs.1,000/- each + a medal ( in the applicable category) and Certificate.
Zonal Winners –
- For up to 4 students getting same rank, award amount will be distributed equally. In addition, each winner will be awarded a medal (in the applicable category) and a Certificate.
- In case more than 4 students get same rank, in lieu of cash award, each winner will be awarded gifts worth Rs.1,000/- each + a medal (in the applicable category) and Certificate.
AT SCHOOL LEVEL
1. Medals to Class Toppers.
- Where 10 or more students from a class (including all sections) write an exam – the top three rank holders will be awarded a gold, silver and bronze medal respectively.
- Where between 5 to 9 students from a class (including all sections) write an exam – the topper awarded a gold medal.
- In addition to above, for each section from a class, from where 25 or more students write an exam – the top three rank holders will be awarded a gold, silver and bronze medal respectively.
2. Student Performance Report (SPR) for each participating student.
- Every student who appears in IMO is provided with a Student Performance Report (SPR). An SPR is a detailed analysis of how the student attempted the 1st level Olympiad exam.
- The objective of SPR is to share with the student and her / his parents, analysis of student’s answers. This is expected to enable the student understand her/his strengths and areas requiring improvement in absolute terms and also on a competitive scale consisting of lacs of students of her/his class who appeared for the Olympiad.
The SPR consists of six sections:
- Section A – provides the student’s marks and rank achieved in school / city / zonal / at international level.
- Section B – provides a topic wise performance score of the student.
- Section C – provides a comparison of the student’s performance in the Olympiad exams during the past 8 years.
- Section D – provides correct answers to questions asked in the Olympiad exam, the answers given by the student and performance comparison of the student’s answers vs other students in the state and at the international level.
- Section E – provides a percentile score analysis of the student with a comparison with the class, zone and international percentile.
- Section F – provides a comparison of average marks analysis at the school, zone and international level.
- Section G – Provide a topic wise performance analysis.
3. Participation Certification to each student.