Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination conducted jointly by
the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically an examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science.
Why one should appear for GATE ?
- Depending upon the norms adopted by a specific institute or department of the institute, a candidate may be admitted directly into a course based on: his/her performance in GATE only; or based on his/her performance in GATE and an admission test/interview conducted by the department to which he/she has
applied and/or the candidate’s academic record. In the test/interview based selection procedure, as per the MHRD guidelines, a minimum of 70% weightage will be given to the performance in GATE and the remaining will be given to the candidate’s performance in test/interview and/or academic record.
- Qualification in GATE is also a minimum requirement to apply for various fellowships awarded by many Government organizations.
- Several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) use GATE scores to shortlist the candidates for employment. A few such organizations are: Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Power Grid Corporation of India.
- Direct recruitment to Group A level posts in Central government, i.e., Senior Field Officer (Tele), Senior Research Officer (Crypto) and Senior Research Officer (S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India, is now being carried out on the basis of GATE score.
Note: GATE administration is not responsible for employment opportunities.
About Gate 2018
- IIT Guwahati is the organizing institute for GATE 2018.
- Official Website: www.gate.iitg.ac.in
- GATE 2018 will be conducted on 23 subjects (also referred to as “papers”).
Examination for all the 23 subjects (papers) will be conducted as ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT).
The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions will be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type. The Candidates will use ONLY an on-screen virtual calculator provided for the examination.
A candidate can appear only in ANY ONE paper of the GATE examination.
GATE 2018 examinations will be held during the forenoon and afternoon sessions on 3rd ,4th , 10th and 11th of February 2018.
Candidates have to register and fill the application via ONLINE mode ONLY at GATE
Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
- The entire process of filling up of the application form and uploading of certificates / documents, etc. is in online mode only. The candidates should not send any hard copy of his/her application form/documents etc. to IIT Guwahati or any of the zonal GATE offices.
- The Admit Cards for GATE 2018 would be available only on GOAPS website. Candidates can download their Admit Card from GOAPS website. No printed copy of the Admit Cards will be posted to the candidates.
Important Dates related to GATE 2018
Eligibility for GATE 2018
List of GATE 2018 Papers and Corresponding Codes
Application for GATE 2018 must be submitted ONLINE (through GOAPS website ,http://appsgate.iitg.ac.in) by paying necessary application fee. For GATE 2018, all information related to the application process will be available in the GOAPS website. The photograph, signature, certificate of qualifying degree, category certificate (SC/ST/PwD) and/or Dyslexic certificate, wherever applicable, must be uploaded during the online application. Candidates must enter the ID number specified in any one of the following IDs: Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar-UID, College ID, Employee ID and Driving License. The candidates who do not possess any of these identity cards, may please procure any one of them before making the application.
- GATE application form is not available for sale or otherwise anywhere
GATE 2018 Application Fee
Other Important Links
Official Website: http://www.gate.iitg.ac.in/
Registration link: http://appsgate.iitg.ac.in/
Information Brochure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2kqrqyN1YIJTlF5Y09NaS1yUms/view